I love insects. I love reading about them, drawing them and creating mashed up illustrations of insects and other animals! David Kirk’s stunning paintings that illustrate Miss Spider’s Wedding, remind us how beautiful insects are and also how beautiful a little feeling called love is too.
When I decided to make insects for this project, I didn’t have any clay or dough and I thought maybe other people might not have any either. SO, I have made some simple insects using paper, tape, straws, shish kabob sticks, paint and glue. You can also use chopsticks and Q-Tips or pencils.
Below you will find links to sites that show you how to make your own dough at home, learn more about insects and some free downloadable templates for inspiration.
- Wings – I am sure you have probably seen this classic symmetry activity. It’s the easiest and prettiest way to get pairs of wings for your insect.
- fold a piece of paper in half
- place paint, directly from bottle or tube, near the center crease of the paper.
- add as many colors as you like but make sure you are using small amounts of paint. You don’t want the paint to leak out!
- once you have all the paint colors you like, close the paper on the crease so it’s folded again
- begin spreading out the paint in between the two halves of the paper.
You can see the paint faintly through the paper and can shape the wings by using your hands and spreading the paint. Open your paper and you have your wings!
In my project, I used an 8.5″ x 11″ piece of copy paper and once dry, was able to cut out 3 pairs of wings.
I also made a “bee” using paper and tape. It’s easy to mold paper into shapes and hold together using tape. You can watch me complete that little bee on the video.
Science Connection – Insects are some of the most interesting species on the planet. Here are some links to learn about the difference between insects, bugs and more –
Here are some amazing insects that some of my students made using Model Magic, a template and cardboard.
Here’s one of my insect mash-ups – it’s an illustration I did for one of my favorite books, Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury.
Enjoy making your bugs and insects and I will be back with new art projects next week. Follow us on FB and Instagram for new videos!
Thanks for visiting and keep creating!